For vehicles equipped with a catalytic converter
If large amounts of unburned gasoline flow into the converter, it may overheat and create a fire hazard. To prevent this, observe the following precautions and explain them to your customer.
- Use only unleaded gasoline.
Avoid prolonged idling.
Avoid running the engine at idle speed for more than 20 minutes.
Avoid spark jump test.
- Perform spark jump test only when absolutely necessary. Perform this test as rapidly as possible.
- While testing, never race the engine.
Avoid prolonged engine compression measurement.
Engine compression tests must be done as rapidly as possible.
Do not run engine when fuel tank is nearly empty.
This may cause the engine to misfire and create an extra load on the converter.
- Avoid coasting with ignition turned off and prolonged braking.
- Do not dispose of used catalyst along with parts contaminated with gasoline or oil.
This guide is based on the book edition Toyota (RM502U, 1997)