Warm up engine
Allow the engine to warm up to normal operating temperature.
Connect Toyota hand-held tester or OBDII scan tool
- Connect the TOYOTA hand-held tester or OBDII scan tool to the DLC3.
- Please refer to the TOYOTA hand-held tester or OBDII scan tool operator’s manual for further details.
- Connect timing light to engine
- Check idle speed (See page EM-11)
Inspect and adjust ignition timing
Using SST, connect terminals TC and E1 of the DLC1
Using a timing light, check the ignition timing.
Ignition timing: 10 ± 2° BTDC @ idle
Loosen the nut, and adjust by turning the distributor.
Ignition timing: 10° BTDC @ idle
(Transmission in neutral position)
Tighten the nut, and recheck the ignition timing.
Torque: 19 N·m (195 kgf·cm, 14 ft·lbf)
Remove the SST from the DLC1.
- Using SST, connect terminals TC and E1 of the DLC1
Further check ignition timing
Ignition timing: 7 - 19° BTDC @ idle
(Transmission in neutral position)The timing mark moves in a range between 7° and 19°.
- Disconnect timing light from engine
- Disconnect Toyota hand-held tester or OBDII scan tool
This guide is based on the book edition Toyota (RM502U, 1997)