Oil and filter replacement
- Prolonged and repeated contact with mineral oil will result in the removal of natural fats from the skin, leading to dryness, irritation and dermatitis. In addition, used engine oil contains potentially harmful contaminants which may cause skin cancer.
- Exercise caution in order to minimize the length and frequency of contact of your skin to used oil. Wear protective clothing and gloves. Wash your skin thoroughly with soap and water, or use water-less hand cleaner, to remove any used engine oil. Do not use gasoline, thinners, or solvents.
- In order to preserve the environment, used oil and used oil filters must be disposed of only at designated disposal sites.
Drain engine oil
- Remove the oil filler cap.
- Remove the oil drain plug, and drain the oil into a container.
Replace oil filter
Using SST, remove the oil filter.
- Check and clean the oil filter installation surface.
- Apply clean engine oil to the gasket of a new oil filter.
- Lightly screw the oil filter into place, and tighten it until the gasket contacts the seat.
Using SST, tighten it an additional 3/4 turn.
- Using SST, remove the oil filter.
Refill with engine oil
To wipe off oil that has dripped onto the engine under cover, remove the 4 screws and bend the under cover downward.
- To avoid damaging the silencer, do not bend the engine under cover more than 150 mm (5.91 in.).
- If oil gets on the silencer, wipe it off with a dry rag.
Clean and install the oil drain plug with a new gasket.
Torque: 38 N·m (375 kgf·cm, 27 ft·lbf)
Fill with fresh engine oil.
w/ Oil filter Change w/o Oil filter Change Dry fill 2JZ-GE 5.2 Iiters (5.5 US qts, 4.6 Imp. qts) 4.9 Iiters (5.2 US qts, 4.3 Imp. qts) 6.5 Iiters (6.9 US qts, 5.7 Imp. qts) 2JZ-GTE 5.0 Iiters (5.3 US qts, 4.4 Imp. qts) 4.7 Iiters (5.0 US qts, 4.1 Imp. qts) 6.5 Iiters (6.9 US qts, 5.7 Imp. qts)
- Reinstall the oil filler cap.
- To wipe off oil that has dripped onto the engine under cover, remove the 4 screws and bend the under cover downward.
- Start engine and check for oil leaks
- Recheck engine oil level
This guide is based on the book edition Toyota (RM502U, 1997)