Warm up engine
Allow the engine to warm up to normal operating temperature.
Connect Toyota hand-held tester or OBDII scan tool
- Connect the TOYOTA hand-held tester or OBDII scan tool to the DLC3.
- Please refer to the TOYOTA hand-held tester or OBDII scan tool operator’s manual for further details.
- Connect timing light to engine
Check idle speed
- Race the engine speed at 2,500 rpm for approx. 90 seconds.
Check the idle speed.
Idle speed: 650 ± 50 rpm
Inspect ignition timing
Using SST, connect terminals TE1 and E1 of the DLC1.
- Open the igniter connector cover and remove the green lead wire.
Connect the timing light clip to the green lead wire.
- Use a timing light that can detect the primary signal.
- After finishing the inspection, make sure the lead wire is stored inside the connector cover.
Using a timing light, check the ignition timing.
Ignition timing: 10 ± 2° BTDC @ idle
(Transmission in neutral position)
Remove the SST from the DLC1.
- Using SST, connect terminals TE1 and E1 of the DLC1.
Further check ignition timing
Ignition timing: 10 - 20° BTDC @ idle
(Transmission in neutral position)The timing mark moves in a range between 10° and 20°.
- Disconnect timing light from engine
- Disconnect Toyota hand-held tester or OBDII scan tool
This guide is based on the book edition Toyota (RM502U, 1997)