Cylinder head reassembly
- Thoroughly clean all parts to be assembled.
- Before installing the parts, apply fresh engine oil to all sliding and rotating surfaces.
- Replace all gaskets and oil seals with new ones.
Install heater union
When using a new cylinder head, a new heater union must be installed.
Apply adhesive to the end of the heater union as shown in the illustration.
Part No.08833-00070, THREE BOND 1324 or equivalent
Using a wooden block and hammer, tap in a new heater union, leaving 48 mm (1.89 in.) protruding from the cylinder head.
Do not tap it in too far.
- Apply adhesive to the end of the heater union as shown in the illustration.
- Install a new oil seal on the valve guide bushing.
Install these parts:
Confirm the correct direction of the valve spring.
- Spring seat
- Valve spring
- Spring retainer
Using SST, compress the valve spring and place the 2 keepers around the valve stem.
SST 09202-70020 (09202-00010)
- Using a plastic-faced hammer, lightly tap the valve stem tip to ensure a proper fit.
Install valve lifters and shims
- Install the valve lifter and shim.
- Check that the valve lifter rotates smoothly by hand.
Install EGR cooler
Install a new gasket and the EGR cooler with the 8 bolts.
Torque: 8.8 N·m (90 kgf·cm, 78 in.·lbf)
Install ECT sender gauge
Torque: 15 N·m (150 kgf·cm, 11 ft·lbf)
Install ECT sensor
Torque: 25 N·m (250 kgf·cm, 18 ft·lbf)
- Install ground strap and throttle cable bracket
Install engine hanger
Torque: 39 N·m (400 kgf·cm, 29 ft·lbf)
This guide is based on the book edition Toyota (RM502U, 1997)