Timing belt removal
- Remove radiator assembly (See page CO-22 )
- Remove drive belt, fan, fluid coupling assembly and water pump pulley (See page CO-7)
Remove PS pump pulley and front bracket
Using SST, remove the nut and pump pulley.
SST 09960-10010 (09962-01000, 09963-01000)
- Remove the 3 bolts, plate washer and pump front bracket.
- Using SST, remove the nut and pump pulley.
Remove No.3 timing belt cover
- Remove the oil filter cap.
- Using a 5 mm hexagon wrench, remove the 6 bolts and timing belt cover.
Remove No.2 timing belt cover
Using a 5 mm hexagon wrench, remove the 3 bolts, timing belt cover and gasket.
Remove drive belt tensioner
Remove the 3 bolts and tensioner.
Set No.1 cylinder to approx. 60°/ BTDC compression
Turn the crankshaft pulley, and align its groove with timing mark ”O” of the No.1 timing belt cover.
Always turn the crankshaft clockwise.
Check that the timing marks (TDC mark) of the camshaft timing pulleys are aligned with the timing marks of the No.4 timing belt cover.
If not, turn the crankshaft 1 revolution (360°).
- Turn the crankshaft pulley, and align its groove with timing mark ”O” of the No.1 timing belt cover.
Remove timing belt from camshaft timing pulleys
(Re-using timing belt):
Place matchmarks on the timing belt and camshaft timing pulleys as shown in the illustration.
- Alternately loosen the 2 bolts, and remove them, the tensioner and dust boot.
- Disconnect the timing belt from the camshaft timing pulleys.
Remove camshaft timing pulleys
Disconnect SST, remove the pulley bolt. Remove the 2 timing pulleys.
SST 09960-10010 (09962-0100, 09963-01000)
Disconnect oil cooler tubes
Remove the 2 bolts and hose clamps, and disconnect oil cooler tubes.
Remove crankshaft pulley
Using SST, loosen the pulley bolt.
SST 09213-70010, 09330-00021
- Remove the pulley bolt.
Using SST, remove the pulley.
SST 09950-50010 (09951-05010, 09952-05010, 09953-05010, 09953-05020, 09954-05030)
- Using SST, loosen the pulley bolt.
Remove No.1 timing belt cover
Remove the 5 bolts, timing belt cover and gasket.
- Remove timing belt guide
Remove timing belt
(When re-using timing belt):
Draw an arrow on the timing belt in the direction of engine revolution, and place matchmarks on the timing belt and crankshaft timing pulley.
Remove idler pulley
Using a 10 mm hexagon wrench, remove the pivot bolt, plate washer and idler pulley.
Remove crankshaft timing pulley
- Remove the bolt and timing belt plate.
Remove the crankshaft timing pulley.
If the pulley cannot be removed by hand, use SST to remove the crankshaft timing pulley.
SST 09950-50010 (09951-05010, 09952-05010, 09953-05010, 09953-05020, 09954-05010)
- Do not scratch the sensor part the crankshaft timing pulley.
- Do not turn the timing pulley.
This guide is based on the book edition Toyota (RM502U, 1997)